Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Free will

Look at you. You're reading my blog. What made you decide to read my blog? Is it that you and I are somewhat acquainted or related so you feel an obligation or a duty to read my post and determine for yourself what you now think of me? Maybe you find the blog more interesting than listening to your biology professor lecture on the structure of atoms and isomers in a 25 L beaker of water. These could be some of the many possibilities as to why you are now reading this. Now let me entertain another thought for you. Studies have shown that before you clicked to read, or even consciously recognized the choice before you, you chose. Your brain is constantly working and in use. You subconsciously make the decision of what to do before you even know you have the decision. Some of the worlds most renowned scientists argue the fact that we have no real "free will" but that your choices and decision are merely an effect to a cause. A result of the electric activity going on in your brain stimulated by previous events. Thus our lives, no matter what we do, are predetermined.
      Well at least that's what my ethics class wants me to believe. I had a kind of interesting experience today as I sat studying at school. I would read and study my ethics class homework, then take a break and read from a book I'm interested in. The interesting part was that at one point I was reading how scientists want to prove that we have no free will, then for leisure I would read from C.S. Lewis' book "Mere Christianity" stating that all human being are obligated to obey all laws except the law of nature which we choose to disobey. It was almost my two interests and passions fighting each other. On one side, science and health, and on the other spirituality.
      Well, as of now the spirituality took over. Lewis talked of the idea that everyone in the world believes in a right or wrong. If they say they don't, simply break a promise and they will say you are in the wrong for doing so, assuming that there was a standard to be kept. An unspoken law agreed to by both parties that the promise would be kept. This is why we have free will. Naturally we see every being understanding and comprehending this unspoken law. Whether or not they follow it is up to them. Lewis also points out that although we may know of this law we don't always obey it. In fact we disobey it almost every day. We make excuses to not do something because of our extenuating circumstances. We didn't call our friend because we were simply too busy. Broke the rule. How you never would have promised to so-and-so to do that one thing if you would have known how busy you would be at the time. Either way we have all made those excuses and we made a choice to do so, it wasn't simply an electronic impulse to the brain but something deeper.
     Although free will is true, I don't believe it to be free. There was price paid by a perfect man. A man who never made those excuses, a man who on on his way to see a friend who he had promised to see helped others on the way, and when learning about the death of his friend, broke the law of physics to bring him from the dead and fulfill his promise. Choice came with a price, and consequences have been paid for, if we so choose.
     Needless to say I had an exciting study and read today, because I chose to.

What are your thoughts?


No comments: