Saturday, June 25, 2011

Summer is here!

Tonight I found myself watching the Taylorsville dayz firework show from my roof. It's one of the best parts of living where we are, we can watch all the neighboring city do their fireworks, from our own roof.
Well the warm summer night and the flashing lights got me thinking of some past 4th of July experiences. Here are a few to note.
Childhood-
I remember always watching Dad set off the pack of fireworks he bought from Macey's. Of course I always wanted to light it and then when I did I found it it's still just as exciting if you don't have to light it. I also remember my sister would be watching it from her room cause she didn't like the loud noises, we kept telling her she was the loud noise.
Of course there were always the home-made ones. Competing against the neighborhood kids as to who could have the loudest M80. Plus we can't forget the giant one, MOAHB what a beauty.
You can't forget the family trip back east. I don't remember the fireworks as much as I remember trying to get back to the car. The minute the last fire work finished burning, the heavens opened and unleashes one of the most powerful rainstorms I've ever experienced. That's why I remember trying to get back to the car before we all got hypothermia.
High School-
Some of the best dates I've been on include watching the Murray Fireworks cuddled up next to a girlfriend. Of course it got a little scary when a nearby tree caught on fire.
Mission-
My first 4th of July was spent in the MTC. We had the "great opportunity" to watch the presidency put on a play about the founding fathers getting their temple work done. The acting was average, so the story saved the show. Afterwards some 3000+ missionaries stood outside the MTC trying to catch a glimpse of the nearby fireworks. My group mainly just played ninjas.
For the one in the field it was about the same as the MTC. Our apartment was too short to really see any fireworks, all we saw was a colorful glow in the sky. We did have fun with some glow sticks in the apartment.
Future-
Who knows what the rest of my 4th's will be like. I hope one time I get to play a night game where the whole baseball diamond is lit up by fireworks. Just a little bucket wish addition.
I'm excited also to see what this year and next bring. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
All and all I realized today that summer has come. Fireworks, yard work, and hamburgers and hot dogs. All accompanied with Giants baseball. What a great time of year!
What do you remember?

No comments: