Thursday, February 19, 2009

The First Day of the Rest of My Life!

Time: 8:09 am Wednesday February 11th 2009

Location: Room 722 in the Computer Science building at Utah Valley University

That morning already started out great, I got to school on time and understood what my project was to be for my media class. I had no idea what would entail the rest of the day.

So there I was drawing logs and fire on Adobe photoshop when my phone vibrated. My first thought was that I got a text message. “I’ll look at it later” I thought. Then another vibration, short, followed by many more. That aint no text message. Not being aware of the time I thought that it might be my alarm, then I looked at my phone and saw that it was my father. Now why would my father call me at 8 in the morning, I knew my call was coming, but that won’t come til at least two. I’ll be there to pick it up from the mail. I let it go, I’ll call him back. He calls again… this is big. I text him and ask him whats going on. The next text I got made the rest of my day the longest day I have ever had. He told me he had my call, and my mom sent me a picture of it.

The next two years of my life was sitting on the kitchen table, while I still had to sit in two more classrooms for the day. That’s all I could think about. I felt like I was in Jerry Seinfield’s airport skit about water. We’re students were supposed to be learning, “WHO CARES!? MISSION!!”

There was one thing I was worried about that evening, will I be able to get out of rehearsal, I had texted my stage manager when I first heard the news, not only that but I told her a week ago I might get it. I wasn’t fully at ease until I got that text from heather saying it was ok if I was late. (my life doesn’t revolve around texting I promise)

Destinee and I got home around 3:30 or 4, everyone would be at the house at 6. We watched “Across the Universe” to try and pass the time. Yeah right.

The time had finally come, I was sitting on the piano bench. All the camera’s were posed, I was on speaker phone with a few phones.

I took the letter opener and slid it across the sticky white sealed paper, the moment I had been waiting for all my life was here. Only a few things will top this moment. I ripped it open and pulled out the letter. I had decided I wouldn’t cheat and I would find out the same time as everyone else in the room. I read the letter word for word, then it came. “ You have been called to labor in the California, Los Angeles Mission… you will be speaking Spanish.”

No comments: