Monday, November 16, 2009

LA 6th Downtown!!

Cheerio family!
I say Cheeerio because my new companion is from England!! He is an American Citizen though. His name is Elder Thiriot (Theory-ought, or ut) He is awesome! He loves to just get out there and get busy. That's why I felt so bad yesterday cause I accidently locked us out of the apartment, and we had to spend an hour trying to pick the lock, open windows, call the mission home. Come to find out, our neighbor has a spare.
We are in LA 6th Downtown. Our northern border is, Olympic. Our southern border is Venice, until the 110 then it drops to washington. Our western border is... western. I don't know the name of our eastern most street. Sorry, I think it might be the border of the Mission but I don't know. I'll let you know next week. We do have the Staples Center and part of "The Alley" in my area. We rode by it the other night and saw all the Laker fans going around in their yellow jersey's that say Kobe, Luckily we don't have a lot of work that far east. Your christmas presents will all be from the alley though! ;) It's hard flush training! I have no idea where I am and I have to be perfect doing it. A lot of pressure, good thing my Greenie and I get a long. The people here are really great though, a great place for Elder Thiriot to start his mission. It's mostly spanish, infact the Elders before us didn't even have one english investigator, so that means we both are going to be learning a lot of spanish! It's total bike and I love it! I feel nice and exhausted at the end of the day, which practically gaurantees a good nights rest.
We set two baptismal dates this week, Christian and Jasmine, they ar 15 and 12 I think. We met them and set a date, they actually have had all the lessons and a date before but the mom didn't feel like they were ready to make the commitment. So we told her we'll set a date, teach all the lessons again. She was good for that.
We also have Gaudalupe and Marco, we tried to set a date with them but they weren't as excited. They kept saying they weren't ready. Tried and tried convincing them but to no avail. We did set a goal to get them married. Infact Gaudalupe came to church on sunday, and the bishop had a meeting with all the investigators. She came out beaming and said that she has an appointment with the bishop tuesday to get started on the marriage process. WoooHoo! Way to go Obispo Estrada!!
We're trying to see if we can get some investigators from some lpart member family's, and of course a lot of tracting. There is a lot of work here in this area. The field is white (or more like brown cause you don't find many white people besides missionaries) and all ready to baptize!!
Cool story, So we tracted into a guy who had had the discussions in El Salvador, we talked to him a little about that and then tried to set up a return appointment. He was not willing to set up a return appointment, then somehow we got talking about him and family and him looking for a job, normal stuff, we related it back to the gospel and how Family is center in God's plan. He had turned right around, we set up an appointment and as we were leaving he repeated the time and said he would be waiting cause he has a lot of questions. I think people just see the tag and don't know that we are people and talk about normal things. We just know why we do the normal things and where were going when we do the good things. I dunno maybe you just had to be there but I thought it was one of the best tracting contacts I've had so far.
Well I guess this E-mail is long enough, I've blabbered on and on so I will now go back home so I can switch my laundry. Sorry I didn't get any pictures this week, I'll send a few next week to show you how LA 6th Downtown is all about!

I love you, take care of that beautiful snow that is falling, play in it lots for me!!

Love, Elder Groves!

No comments: